Buckland School

Titipounamu Tattler

Term 1 2018

Kia ora, Talofa, Namaste and a great big HELLO! From Titipounamu Nest. We are one amazing class with two amazing teachers, Whaea Sally & Miss Hari.  What a great start we have had to the term with lots of students returning with a positive attitude and a passion to start learning from the get-go.

Ways of Working

Although we may look like a great big class and we do come together for whole class teaching and learning, majority of the time the students are in groups for teaching that caters for their learning needs and abilities. Groups are fluid which means that students may move from group to group depending on the focus of the learning. If you have any concerns about how we operate in Titipounamu please don’t hesitate to pop in and have a chat.

Class Dojo

Titipounamu students are using a positive classroom management incentive called ClassDojo. Students receive points for upholding our ways of working and behaving in our nest. At the end of every day the points accumulated are checked and those with the highest number of points receive a dojo certificate. Attached to this newsletter are the login details for you to access Class Dojo and see what your child has been up to. Just follow the simple instructions.

Expectations

Teachers and learners in Titipounamu have high expectations for behaviour and learning. Our focus is on the positive management of behaviour, developing positive ways of working together, and dealing with disputes in constructive and positive ways. We focus on students being risk-takers and giving everything a go. Learning is about making mistakes and always trying to get better at whatever we do. Because this is such an important part of how we work we need your help. Please expect your child to:-

• bring home learning home and complete it

• attend school everyday unless sick

• talk to each other using kind words

• be kind in all that they do even when conflict arises

Screen Shot 2017-02-06 at 9.03.23 AM.png Lunches

It is great to see so many children bringing sandwiches and fruit as part of their lunch. We encourage a healthy balanced lunch to ensure that the children have enough energy for learning and play. We are aiming to be a litterless lunch school and so sandwiches and fruit are the easiest foods for the students to handle during the time they have for eating.

Swimming

A reminder that Titipounamu swim every afternoon. These are structured lessons aimed at improving water confidence and swimming skills. In addition, the students will have a professional instructor teaching them on Friday. To help your child with managing their belongings please ensure that all items of clothing are named as there are often mix-ups in the changing rooms despite our best attempts to avoid them. Should your child come home with someone else’s clothing please return it to school the next day to avoid frustration for other parents.

Home Learning

It is really important for your child’s learning that they reinforce classroom learning at home. Titipounamu will be sending home learning on a daily and weekly basis. Please support your child in completing and returning it on time, to the best of their ability.

Daily - reading, basic sight words

Weekly - Poem (Friday)

Additionally the students are encouraged to log into Mathletics and complete learning at home regularly.

Please ensure that all homework is returned on a daily basis in your child’s reading folder/book bag. This helps to set up good learning routines for the children.

We are here to help!

Titipounamu nest has an open door policy and we welcome parents to come and help us in the classroom. Additionally, if you have any concerns about your child’s progress or worries about them then please feel free to pop in and have a chat. We are in the nest from 8:30 every morning.  Should you require a more in depth discussion then a longer appointment can be made outside of learning time. We ask that students are at school in time for the 8:55 am bell and that parents have departed by then to allow students to settle quickly for the days learning.

We look forward to working with you and your fantastic children this year.

Nga mihi nui

Whaea Sally & Miss Hari